Sunday, September 6, 2009

Having seen the movie "The Soloist" recently...

One thing I've vowed recently is to watch 60 Minutes on Sunday nights. As a general rule I find the show to be entertaining in a newsy sort of way. Usually there is at least one of the 3-4 segments that I will find interesting and it doesn't glitz up the hard stories. I like this...it is after all news.

So tonight I am watching 60 Minutes and on comes a segment about Steve Lopez and the very talented Nathaniel Ayers. These guys are the basis of the movie starring Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx. Based on a true story, the movie revolves around LA Times reporter Steve Lopez discovering a homeless man who is an amazing cellist. Interesting to see the real life counterparts of the movie, which I would give 4 out 5 stars. See the thing about Nathaniel is that not only is he talented and homeless, it turned out that Ayers was a Julliard School for the Performing Arts dropout. He dropped out due to mental illness in the form of an extreme version of Schizophrenia.

I cam upon this video on Youtube that is pretty cool.



BTW having seen a few interviews with Nathaniel Ayers now, I feel that Jamie Foxx did a fantastic job portraying him and I would be curious to see a video where Foxx met Ayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment